Thursday, February 4, 2010

Did You Say Prune Pie?

So while I was living in New Mexico I was introduced to Prune Pies, yum! Usually made in an horno, which is a large outdoor oven made of adobe, many of the local pueblos make and sell them on the side of the road or in local shops. They became one of my favorite treats while living in New Mexico and since moving back I've missed them dearly!
It has been hard to find a recipe but I finally found one in a small pamphlet called "Sampling New Mexico Foods" printed in 1983, for the E. J. Martinez Elementary School. It didn't have a lot of "exact" measurements so I've listed how I made it below; you may need to do a little tweaking with the times depending on how much you make.
I've also renamed the recipe Pueblo Plum Pie (try saying that three times fast!) as everyone cringes at the word prune... not sure why? Well in any case they came out really good and pretty darn close to the pueblo made pies. I hope you are willing to try it as I'm pretty sure you'll really like it! It's pretty much like a giant cookie with fruit inside... enjoy!!!

Pueblo Plum Pie



Ingredients:
  1. 4 C flour
  2. 1 1/4 C sugar
  3. 1/4 tsp salt
  4. 2 tsp baking powder
  5. 1 C shortening
  6. 1 1/2 lbs prunes, pitted (I used SunSweet Pitted Prunes - 18oz)
  7. Pinch of ground cloves
  8. 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  9. 10-15 Tbls. cold water
  10. Milk
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup of sugar
  3. Cut in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly
  4. Add enough cold water to make a soft dough
  5. Knead slightly and cut in half
  6. Roll out dough, 1/4 inch thick, and line cookie sheet with one
  7. Cook prunes in water until soft, about 5-10 minutes, drain
  8. Mash well, adding 3/4 cups of sugar (to taste, you may not need it all)
  9. Season with cinnamon and cloves
  10. Spread filling evenly over bottom crust
  11. Roll out remaining dough, 1/4 inch thick
  12. Cover with top crust pinch seams and cut steam vents 
  13. Lightly brush top of pie with milk and sprinkle with sugar
  14. Bake until crust is slightly brown, approximately 30-40 minutes
After shortening was added:


Final dough before kneading:


Prunes after the boil:


Prunes mashed:


Prune mixture spread out onto bottom level of dough:


Pie before cooking with both layers of dough:





10 comments:

  1. My dad is from New Mexico and has requested Prune pie for this Thanksgiving. Having never had it myself, I don't really know what I'm making. This recipe sounds as authentic as it gets. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aunt always claimed that she invented them...from Penasco NM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's your aunt from penasco? My family is from new mexico. I have family who still loves in penasco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much water do you cook the prunes in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmere used to make this; she was from Belgium. It reads exactly as she made it, except that she used a pie pan. I wonder what the connection is between New Mexico and Belgium. I'm no cook, but I'm going to try to make it. I miss it, and the old times, that much. Thank you for printing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to live in Santa Fe and would see these at the farmers market! -Jessie from CakeSpy

    ReplyDelete
  7. My gma n Tia are from Pensaco NM, well I was brought up in Penasco,by my Gma Salena,and we used to eat these all the time n I've been looking for thus recipe for years... my sister calls these pies go-go pies....prunes n pies.. ha ha...ty for sharing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My gma n Tia are from Pensaco NM, well I was brought up in Penasco,by my Gma Salena,and we used to eat these all the time n I've been looking for thus recipe for years... my sister calls these pies go-go pies....prunes n pies.. ha ha...ty for sharing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The picture of the slice of pie looks like the pie my beautiful grandma used to make for us during Thanksgiving & Christmas. She also made them in a pie pan. I can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete