Not wanting to drive the 50 + miles for some PF Chang's Lettuce Wraps, I decided to try a recipe I found online. I was pleasantly surprised and will probably forgo PF Chang's for this (probably) healthier version! Check it out, I'm sure you'll agree, YUM!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 16 Butter lettuce leaves (Living Lettuce)
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast (or finely chopped)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbls. minced garlic
- 3 Tbls. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 - 3/4 C. hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbls. rice wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. Asian chili pepper sauce (see Note)
- 1 can (8 ounce size) sliced water chestnuts, drained, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- Rinse lettuce leaves, keeping them whole. Set aside to drain.
- Cook chicken in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often to break up the meat.
- Add onion, garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar and chili sauce. Cook until the meat is crumbled and brown.
- Add water chestnuts and green onions. Cook until onions begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in sesame oil.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on the outer edge of a platter. Spoon meat mixture in center. Allow diners to spoon meat mixture into lettuce leaves and eat like a taco.