I can't help it, I LOVE pumpkin pie and I simply can't wait until fall! So I caved in and made one tonight... yum! I posted both the crust and filling recipe below. Don't over mix the dough and it should be pretty easy to roll out. Add whatever designs you'd like with the extra dough, **I also usually precook the dough after rolling it out in the pie pan at 425 degrees for 5 minutes... this helps prevent the middle of your pie from having raw dough. Enjoy!
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3-4 Tbls. cold water
- In medium bowl stir together all-purpose flour and salt. Using hands, crumble in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork to mix. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
- On lightly floured surface, use your hand to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter, lightly dusting with flour as needed.
- To line pie plate: Wrap pastry around rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate or pan. Ease into pie plate without stretching the dough. Trim edges of crust to 1/2 inch beyond pie plate. Flute edge a desired.
- **Bake in over for 5 minutes for 425 degrees.
- 1 - 15 oz. can of pumpkin
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 - 9" deep dish pie shell
- Mix pumpkin and spices together.
- Add remaining filling ingredients.
- Mix slowly just until thoroughly mixed, pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees for an additional 35 minutes.
- Thoroughly cool pie before serving.