Great light salad for summer! Enjoy...
Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbls. balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbls. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8ozs fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and patted dry
- 1 C. chopped fresh basil
- In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt together. Let the mixture stand for 30 minutes so that the tomatoes give up some of their juices.
- Strain the tomato mixture thru a fine-mesh strainer, saving the tomato juice and picking out the seeds left in the strainer. Return the tomatoes to the original bowl and pour the tomato liquid into a small saucepan approximately 1/3-1/2 C.
- To the small saucepan, add the vinegar and garlic. Simmer over medium heat until the mixture is reduced to about 3 tablespoons. This will take about 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature and then whisk in the olive oil.
- Add the mozzarella cheese, basil and cooled dressing to the bowl with the tomatoes and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.