Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Original Hawaiian Sweet 4 Pack Dinner Rolls, or 4 pieces of white bread
- 2 Tbls. butter, melted
- 2.5 lbs russet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbls. butter
- 1 small/medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely minced, or 1 1/2 tsp.
- 6 Tbls. all-purpose flour
- 2 C. low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 C. heavy cream or milk
- 7 oz. Swiss cheese, shredded, about 2 cups
- 2 Tbls. Dijon mustard or Grey Poupon hearty spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat and sliced thinly
- 2 C. deli ham, chopped
- 2 Tbls. minced fresh parsley leaves
- For the topping, place bread and butter in a food processor until coarsely ground. Set aside.
- For the filling, preheat the oven to 400 degrees, with the oven rack in the middle. Place the potatoes, 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are partially cooked, about 2 minutes. Carefully drain potatoes and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onions are softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the flour, stirring constantly, cook until golden, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and the cream or milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking often, until slightly thickened.
- Remove sauce from heat and whisk in Swiss cheese, Dijon, and cayenne pepper until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- Toss the potatoes with half of the sauce and spread into the bottom of a lightly greased 9X13-inch baking pan.
- Layer alternating pieces of the chicken and ham over the potatoes, overlapping as needed ensuring he chicken is not clumped together in order to cook thoroughly.
- Pour the remaining sauce evenly over the chicken and sprinkle with the bread crumb topping.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the casserole is bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
*This casserole can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook. Please add 5-7 minutes to the baking time.