Friday, April 16, 2010

Carolina Crab Cakes

My Mom found this recipe in a local paper and cut it out for me; it's ended up being one of my favorite recipes!

I use two cold packs of Blue Star crab meat, usually one 6oz pack of Lump Meat and one 6oz pack of Claw Meat (the lump is more expensive.) They sell these at our local Walmart in the seafood section, so they should be fairly easy to find... any crab meat would be good though, I usually stay away from canned as it tends to have a lot of cartilage you'll have to pick out. I also place the crab cakes on a toasted whole wheat english muffin with a little cheese melted on top. Although, you could place the cakes on any number of things, salads are yummy too! Enjoy!

Carolina Crab Cakes


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb crab meat, picked free of shells
  • 1/3 C. crushed crackers (Ritz)
  • 3 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1/2 C. finely chopped bell pepper
  • 1/4 C. mayonnaise
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • Flour, for dusting
  • 1/2 C oil (peanut, vegetable or canola)
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the flour and oil.
  2. Shape into patties and dust with flour.
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot carefully place crab cakes in batches in pan and fry until browned about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip crab cakes and fry on other side until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve warm with desired sauce.


I usually chop green onions and keep them in the freezer for when I need them. It's rare that I use a whole package of green onions at one time so why waste them?

No comments:

Post a Comment