My first time having kale and all I have to say is YUM! I found this recipe at our local grocery store and decided to try it out.... we paired it with some Trader Joe's Stuffed Salmon Belle Mer and it was totally yummy!!! Please give it a try, you won't regret it. I didn't have any cream on hand so I used all milk instead and it still came out pretty darn good.
Creamy, Cheesy Kale
- 8 C. cleaned and chopped kale (about 2 bunches)
- 3 Tbls. butter, divided
- 2 Leeks, trimmed, cleaned and sliced
- 2 Tbls. flour
- 1/2 C. cream
- 1/2 C. milk
- 1/2 C. chopped Havarti cheese
- 1/4 C. seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Lightly coat 1 qt. casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook kale in lightly salted boiling water 3 minutes or until tender; drain and run under very cold water.
- In a saucepan, melt 1 Tbls. butter, add leeks and cook 5 minutes on medium-high.
- Add remaining 2 Tbls. butter, flour, cream and milk. Cook until thick, stirring often; remove from heat.
- Stir in kale and cheese, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into prepared casserole; top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden and bubbling.