Made a delicious creamed spinach recipe tonight and paired it with the High Temperature Eye-of-Round Roast Recipe and some roasted potatoes, yum! I absolutely love the roast recipe as it always comes out perfect! Enjoy!
- 1 lb spinach, tough stems discarded
- 6 - 8 oz white pearl onions
- 5 tbls. unsalted butter
- 2 tlbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 C. whole milk
- 3 thick slices of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 C. heavy cream
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Wash spinach, and drain, but do not dry. Transfer to a large skillet. Cover, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring once, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain. Let cool slightly; squeeze out any excess liquid. Finely chop; set aside.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add onions, and cook until skins soften, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon (reserve water in pan); rinse under cold water. Trim root ends, and remove skins; halve if large. Return water to a boil. Add onions, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook, whisking, 5 minutes. Add milk in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Boil, whisking, 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Melt remaining tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in onions and spinach. Stir in cream and reserved milk mixture. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the nutmeg. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes (do not boil).
- Stir in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days; reheat in an oven heated to 300 degrees to serve.