I found an oh so yummy sweet potato pie recipe and the pecan topping just takes the cake! It takes awhile to make but it's definitely worth it... make sure you let it cool completely before cutting!
Sweet Potato Pie with Pecans
- 1 - 15oz. can of sweet potato puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 prebaked Piecrust, or 1 frozen store-bought (9-inch) crust
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pecans, broken into pieces
- Prick bottom of crust with fork. If crust is uncooked, bake in oven for 5 - 10 minutes.
- To make filling, preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, 1/3 cup brown sugar and maple syrup until smooth. Add sweet potato puree, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 3/4 cup cream; whisk until completely smooth.
- Place cooled crust on a rimmed baking sheet; pour filling into crust.
- Bake pie on lowest rack of oven until filling is set, about 50 minutes. If crust browns too quickly, tent edges with foil.
- Transfer pie to a rack to cool, 1 hour; transfer to refrigerator to cool completely.
- To make the pecan topping, melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add remaining 1/2 cup light-brown sugar and pecans.
- Cook, stirring, until sugar is incorporated and the mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining tablespoon cream; let cool 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture over cooled pie.
- With a butter knife or spatula, spread mixture over pie.
- Cool until topping has hardened, about 30 minutes. (Do not refrigerate again; keep pie in a cool place up to 6 hours.)