This banana nut roll is a light and fluffy cake with a yummy cream cheese center all topped with vanilla cream cheese frosting! It takes some work, so I posted step by step photos below which I hope you'll find helpful.
Banana Nut Roll
- 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1, 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1, 3-oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 C. granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbls. milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 C. granulated sugar
- 1 large banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 C. finely chopped walnuts
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 C. granulated sugar
- Sifted powdered sugar
- 1 recipe Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
- Lightly grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan and line bottom with wax paper; grease paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- For filling, in a small mixing bowl combine cream cheese and the 1/2 cup granulated sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add whole egg and milk; beat until combined. Spread in the prepared pan; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla on medium speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually add the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating until sugar is dissolved. Stir in banana and nuts.
- Thoroughly wash the beaters.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Fold yolk mixture into egg whites. Sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over egg mixture; fold in just until blended.
- Carefully spread the batter evenly over the filling in the pan.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately loosen cake from sides of pan and turn out onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Carefully peel off paper.
- Starting with a short side, roll up cake, using towel as a guide but not rolling towel into cake.
- Cool completely on rack.
- Spread top with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1.5 oz. cream cheese
- 1/s tsp. vanialla extract
- 1 C. powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbls. milk
- In a small mixing bowl combine half of a 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in 1 cup unsifted powdered sugar.
- Beat in enough milk (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make a frosting of spreading consistency.
I sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the cake, then a clean kitchen towel and then a large cutting board. The cutting board prevents the cake from cracking while you flip it.
This photo shows the cutting board underneath the cake and towel.
Remove the wax paper.
Slowly use the towel to roll the cake.
Cool on a wire rack then top with frosting.
I usually cut a small slice off of each end of the roll to give it a clean look.