Chicken and Broccoli
- 1 lb chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbls. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 1/2 Tbls. sugar
- 1 Tbls., plus 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tbls. cooking sherry
- 2 Tbls. dark sesame oil
- 1/3 C. water
- 3 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil
- 20oz. frozen broccoli (or 6-7 C. fresh)
- 8oz. can of water chestnuts, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 3 Tbls. hoisin sauce
- Jasmine rice
- Marinate chicken in a bowl containing scallions, half of the garlic and ginger, soy sauce, sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch, 1 1/4 tsp. of the salt, sherry, and sesame oil. Marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Mix remaining cornstarch in 1/3 C. water, set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbls. of oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the broccoli and water chestnuts, stir-fry until no longer frozen.
- Add the remaining garlic, ginger, 2 tablespoons of water, and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Stir-fry until the broccoli is bright green but still crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a plate.
- Heat 2 Tbls. of oil in the same large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and chili flakes.
- Stir-fry until the chicken loses its raw color and gets a little brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the hoisin sauce, return the broccoli to the pan and toss to heat through.
- Stir in the reserved cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil to thicken. Add more water if need to thin the sauce, if necessary.
- Serve with Jasmin rice.