Cactus Fries and Prickly Pear Sauce
- 2 Pads of Prickly Pear Cactus (Napolitas Cactus)
- 1-2 C. buttermilk
- 2 Tbls. all purpose flour
- 2 Tbls. baking powder
- ¼ lb cornstarch
- 1 Tbls. salt
- 2 Tbls. paprika
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 3 Tbls. garlic powder
- 1 Tbls. sugar
- Vegetable or Canola oil, for frying
- Cut cleaned cactus into slices
- Rinse and drain cactus in colander.
- Coat with buttermilk, let soak 8-10 hours.
- Drain off most of the buttermilk.
- Coat cactus in seasoned flour.
- Fry cactus for 3-4 minutes at 325 degrees or until crispy.
Prickly Pear Sauce
- 1/4 C. Prickly Pear syrup
- 1/4 C. rice vinegar
- 1/4 C. Red Hot
- 1 Tbls. lime juice
- 1 Tbls. soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbls. white sugar
- 1 Tbls. cilantro
- 1 Tbls. green onion
- 1/2 Tbls. corn starch
- 1 Tbls. water
- Bring vinegar, Red Hot and soy sauce to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add prickly pear syrup, lime juice, sugar, cilantro, green onio corn starch and water.
- Boil, reducing to a thicker consistency.